Landmark Investigators works with defense counsel from the pre-indictment stage through the end of the trial to create investigative strategies designed to challenge the government’s case and bolster defense theories.
When the client’s freedom is at stake in a criminal case, access to information can mean the difference between acquittal and conviction.
Our professionals have worked on numerous high-stakes and high-profile criminal cases, as well as on a wide range of complex civil matters, including civil RICO, securities fraud, regulatory, money laundering and libel cases across multiple jurisdictions.
Our work, in connection with the defense of criminal matters, includes:
- Collecting evidence and adducing facts in support of defense motions
- Conducting background investigations of the government’s cooperating witnesses to impeach their credibility
- Identifying, locating and interviewing potential witnesses
- Interviewing confidential sources for background information where public records are unavailable, unhelpful or non-existent
- Investigating credentials of expert witnesses
- Tracing and locating assets
- Identifying undisclosed links between subjects and witnesses
- Testing the government’s theory to see if it is supported by information in the public record or information obtained through confidential sources
- Creating alternative theories to counter the government’s theory of prosecution
- Providing material for plea negotiation and cross examination
- Retrieving and analyzing data files using computer forensic methods
- Conducting forensic accounting reviews of financial records
- Supporting counsel and jury consultants in jury selection research